Tags

,

I swear this project has to have been the most stressful one I’ve ever had to endure!  I’m sure if you spent weeks on any topic you would get to a point where you just didn’t care anymore, and by the sound of it, that’s where the majority of our course ended up.

I should probably start by saying that, despite being exceptionally frustrating, this project wasn’t too bad.  I learnt a lot of new things about recycling, sustainability and such, that I really didn’t know before.  The main thing I think I’ve taken away from it is an odd feeling of being guilted into recycling and using recycled paper.  I recycled plenty before, but now I just feel bad if I use too much of it, and angry if someone/something causes me to waist more than is necessary, e.g. the print studio screwing up my work.

———————————-

Print

I found working with my print group to be a really enjoyable experience.  I had never worked with the majority of my group before (I had worked with Charlotte on the warm-up projects) but we really seemed to gel well.  We were exceptionally lucky to have Pete, who is a brilliant public speaker, and took up the role of the main voice for our group during interim presentations.

Our idea initially progressed really quickly. We came up with the idea for t-shirts that would both inform about and advertise sustainable design practice, and everything blossomed from that point onwards.  We developed our designs over a few weeks and even used the presentations as an opportunity to have our course-mates select the images, out of our initial sketches, that they were most likely to wear.  After that, the idea of our labels simply fell into place, giving us an opportunity to include more information than our t-shirts would allow.

I was really pleased with our final outcome, especially because it apparently has ‘legs’ and we could possibly make quite a bit of money out of it.  Though I’m not sure how much of any potential profits would have to go to the uni… I must find out whether we actually have any ownership rights over the work we do whilst in education.

———————————-

Web

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever been more unhappy with a project ever in my life.  Our group was poorly put together, as none of us had any real experience with either Flash or DreamWeaver.  I would have thought this wouldn’t have happened as, at the start of the course, we were all asked what programmes we could use and how well and seeing as we haven’t had any real training in using the mentioned programmes I would have liked to think that we would have been arranged into a more logical grouping.

Grumbling and technical problems aside, we did have a pretty good idea behind our mediocre website.  We planned to use the myths of sustainable paper, etc. as a spring board for conversations on a forum, dedicated to sustainable practice.  Unfortunately, our final outcome was far from how we imagined it to look, and our grades seemed to reflect it.  Apparently our good idea didn’t account for much.

———————————-

Personal

I was exceptionally pleased with my personal project!  I decided right from the start that I would use it as an opportunity to learn how to use Flash, or at least gain some knowledge of it.  By the end of the project, I did gain a basic knowledge of Flash and the evils of action script.  I’m not 100% sure that I would choose to use Flash in a future project, but I would defiantly chose it over DreamWeaver any day!

Advertisements